At least nineteen Illinois cases are now linked to the reports of elevated lead levels in recalled cinnamon applesauce pouches. To learn more about the recall, go to https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/news/lead-poisoning-outbreak-linked-to-cinnamon-applesauce-pouches.html. If you or a family member consumed this product, consult your health care provider.
Patient Safety & Quality
Nearly 98,000 Americans die each year as a result of preventable medical errors. Over 1.5 billion dollars per year are paid, nationally, to cover the cost of medical errors which contributes to increases in across the board health care costs to consumers. The Division of Patient Safety and Quality is committed to work for safe, quality health care for the people of Illinois.
The Illinois Department of Public Health's Division of Patient Safety and Quality promotes health care transparency and is responsible for developing and implementing programs to collect and report health care provider data for improving the quality and value of health care services delivered to Illinois residents. Through the implementation of the Hospital Report Card Act, the Consumer Guide, and the Adverse Event Reporting Act, the Division will make hospital and ambulatory surgical centers performance data available to the public.
The Division also evaluates how local and national patient safety and quality standards will improve patient safety and quality in Illinois. Links to other sites with information about national quality and safety standards for health care organizations are included in the Links section.
Laws & Rules
- (For Hospitals) Illinois Hospital Nurse Staffing Data Collection Guidelines Clarification Document
- Annual Report 2011
- MRSA in Illinois: Descriptive Analysis of Hospital Discharge Data 2002-2006
- MRSA Trends in Illinois Hospitals: 2002-2007
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Illinois Hospitals: 2002 – 2008
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Illinois Hospitals, 2009
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Illinois Hospitals, 2010
- Clostridium Difficile-Associated Disease in Illinois Hospitals, 2004-2007
- Clostridium difficile in Illinois Hospitals: 1999-2009
- Clostridium difficile in Illinois Hospitals, 2010
- Trends in Cesarean deliveries in Illinois hospitals, 1994-2007
- Disparities in Utilization of Minimally Invasive Breast Biopsy