Surveillance activities include monitoring asthma prevalence, quality of life issues, hospitalizations, emergency department visits, and mortality. This data is important in planning education and intervention programs and in developing policies necessary for preventing and controlling asthma in the future.
Asthma Burden Reports and Updates
The program regularly convenes a Surveillance and Evaluation Workgroup to review sources of asthma data. Periodically, asthma burden reports are released to report on asthma data trends. For more information, or to become involved with the workgroup, please call 217-782-3300.
Illinois Asthma State Plan
The Illinois Department of Public Health has been addressing asthma in Illinois for more than 20 years. Every five years, the program and members of the Illinois Asthma Partnership release a strategic state plan. The program is currently implementing its 5th edition of Addressing Asthma in Illinois, the 2021-2026 Illinois Asthma State Plan.
- Child Asthma Call Back Survey 2017
- Illinois State Asthma Plan 2015-2020
- Asthma Trends: Hospital Discharge Data, 2016-2019
- Stock Asthma Rescue Medication Toolkit, 2020
- Asthma Action Plan
- Illinois Asthma Program Funded Activities Map 2018
- Asthma Trends: Mortality Tables 2000-2018
- Asthma-Related Emergency Department Visits in Illinois, 2020
- Know the Risks: Asthma and Tobacco Infographic, 2019
- Asthma Trends: Adult Prevalence, 2011-2017
- Asthma Trends: Mortality, 2000-2016
- Asthma Call Back Survey Burden Brief, 2017
- The Cost of Asthma Burden Brief, 2015
- Illinois Childhood Asthma Surveillance Report, 2011-2014
- The Impact of Asthma in Illinois Infographic
- Managing Asthma in Child Care Facilities, 2014
- IL Asthma Partnership Resource Directory, 2014
- Surveillance Sources of National, State, and Local Level Asthma Data, 2013