Skip to main content

Measles cases are on the rise globally and here in Illinois the number is increasing as well. Vaccines are 97% effective in preventing this highly contagious disease.  To learn more about this infection and get information on vaccination, go to  Learn how to identify measles and the safe and effective vaccine that can prevent this potentially life-threatening infection for adults and children. 

MCPP Veterans Requirements

Veterans receiving medical care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Facility

Veterans receiving their health care at a VA facility who wish to apply for the Medical Cannabis Patient Program (MCPP) do not need to provide a physician written certification, but must provide medical records from the VA facility for the last 12 months. IDPH will review the medical records to verify the veteran has a qualifying medical condition and has received continuous medical care at the VA facility during the previous 12 months.

IDPH requires 12 months of medical records to verify you are in ongoing treatment at a VA facility. This requirement ensures veterans receiving care at a VA facility do not need to submit a physician certification like non-veterans must do.

To obtain VA medical records electronically:

  • Go online to
  • If you cannot access your account, use VA form 10-5345 to request these records (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Request for and Authorization to Release Medical Records and Health Information). If you have received care for your debilitating medical condition for more than 5 years at a VA facility, you must mark “OTHER” on VA Form 10-5345 under “Information Requested” then write that you are requesting information about the treatment of your qualified condition for the most recent 12-month period. Under “PURPOSE(S) OR NEED FOR WHICH THE INFORMATION TO BE USED BY INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write “Personal Medical Purposes”. Under “NAME AND ADDRESS OF ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL OR TITLE OF INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write your address. The records will be sent to you

Veterans receiving care from health care providers outside the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs system

Veterans who are NOT receiving continuous medical care through a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facility must have a health care professional submit an On-Line Certification.

Application Fees for Veterans

Veterans who have an honorable or general discharge and are eligible for VA services and benefits, are eligible for a reduced application fee for the Medical Cannabis Patient Program. The veteran must submit a copy of their DD-214 (showing dates of service and other than dishonorable) with their application. For fee information, click here.