Caregivers and Older Adults
As an older adult or caregiver of an older adult, specific steps can be taken to prevent falls.
Four things an older adult can do to prevent falls:
- Begin an exercise program to improve leg strength & balance
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to review your medicines
- Get annual eye check-ups & update your eyeglasses
- Make your home safer by:
- Removing clutter & tripping hazards
- Putting railings on all stairs & adding grab bars in the bathroom.
- Having good lighting, especially on stairs
Caregivers should ensure that any older adult under their care understands what he or she needs to do to protect themselves from falls.