Assistance for after-hour emergencies (e.g., human exposure to a potentially rabid animal) is available through the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) statewide emergency response system. In these special cases, arrangements can be made to submit samples/specimens or to report public health emergencies by calling the following:
|Outside Springfield area||800-782-7860|
|TTY (hearing impaired use only)||800-547-0466|
Ask to be directed to the Illinois Department of Public Health’s emergency officer. They can provide you further instructions. If warranted, the emergency officer will arrange to have the closest Illinois Department of Public Health laboratory open to receive the samples/specimens and to begin testing that same day.
If a natural or other emergency event causes the closure of one laboratory within the division, testing services may be transferred to another laboratory within the division. In this way, surge capacity for division is provided by other Illinois Department of Public Health laboratories or through contractual arrangements with other private or public facilities.
- Risk Assessment Information for Bacillus Anthracis (Anthrax)
- Risk Assessment Information for Brucella spp
- Risk Assessment Information for Burkholderia Mallei
- Risk Assessment Information for Burkholderia pseudomallei
- Risk Assessment Information for Coxiella burneti
- Risk Assessment Information for Francisella tularensis
- Risk Assessment Information for Yersinia pestis
- Threat Agent Laboratory Test Requisition