Quality improvement uses a deliberate approach to analyzing performance and a systematic method to improve it. The IDPH has adopted the Lean Six Sigma (LSS) quality improvement methodology using Kaizen events and the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) (image of cycle found below) as the framework in implementing continuous quality improvement initiatives.
Measureable improvements are achieved in the efficiency, effectiveness, performance, accountability, outcomes, and other indicators of quality that improve the health of the community. Quality improvement and performance management are principles and practices used to promote operational excellence and strengthen the public health system.
Quality Improvement at the IDPH
The IDPH believes the following are fundamental to the priority of an effective QI culture for the organization:
- Senior leadership committed to quality improvement and performance management
- Staff empowered and trained in IDPH QI methodology to strategically identify strengths and areas for improvement in their programs or offices
- Progressive and highly functioning Office of Performance Management
- Dedicated QI Committee strategically prioritizing system wide QI projects
- Public Health Department Accreditation status
IDPH Quality Improvement Committee
The Quality Improvement (QI) Committee promotes the principles of continuous quality improvement throughout the Department. The QI Committee is responsible for systematically identifying, overseeing and monitoring quality improvement and performance management efforts at IDPH. The duties of QI Committee members include:
- Develop and track metrics supporting IDPH strategic plans
- Monitor, support, and conduct QI projects
- Plan, coordinate, and promote QI trainings for staff
- Communicate QI efforts to the different offices of the IDPH
- Review and update the IDPH QI plan annually
- Develop and implement a systematic process for assessing and improving customer satisfaction
IDPH Quality Improvement Plan
The IDPH QI plan aligns IDPH’s focus on quality, the Strategic Plan, performance management system, and workforce development to create a comprehensive and ongoing strategy toward quality improvement.
One of the goals of this plan is to communicate a structured plan toward continual process improvements in a comprehensive format with accountability and transparency throughout the organization. The QI Plan addresses the documentation to fulfill the Public Health Accreditation Board’s (PHAB) requirement for Standard 126.96.36.199, a written quality improvement plan and is aligned with the strategic priorities of the Department. This plan is monitored annually by the IDPH QI Committe.