Medical Cannabis Patient Application

Applicants should discuss the use of medical cannabis with their physician prior to beginning an application. All applicants, except for Veterans receiving care at a VA facility, must have their physician submit a written certification for the use of medical cannabis.

To qualify for a patient registry identification card, a qualifying patient must:

  • Be a resident of the State of Illinois at the time of application and remain a resident during participation in the program;
  • Have a qualifying debilitating medical condition;
  • Have a signed physician certification (unless you are a veteran receiving medical care at a VA facility);
  • Be at least 18 years of age;
  • Not hold a school bus permit or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL); and
  • Not be an active duty law enforcement officer, correctional officer, correctional probation officer, or firefighter.

Physician Written Certification Make sure your physician completes the Physician Written Certification Form and gives the form back to you for submission with your application. You must scan the form and save it as a .pdf document to upload it with your on-line application or include the original document with your paper application. The certification must be received within 90 days of your application and must show an in-person visit date within the last 90 days.

Veterans receiving care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Facility

Veterans receiving health care at a VA facility do not need to provide a physician written certification, but must instead provide medical records from the VA facility for the last 12 months.

  • Use VA form 10-5345 to request these records (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Request for and Authorization to Release Medical Records and Health Information). If you have received care for your debilitating medical condition for more than 5 years at a VA facility, you must mark “OTHER” on VA Form 10-5345 under “Information Requested” then write that you are requesting information about the treatment of your qualified condition for the most recent 12-month period. Under “PURPOSE(S) OR NEED FOR WHICH THE INFORMATION TO BE USED BY INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write “Personal Medical Purposes”. Under “NAME AND ADDRESS OF ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL OR TITLE OF INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write your address. The records will be sent to you.
  • To obtain VA medical records electronically, go online to
  • Once you receive your official medical records, you must submit the medical records with your application.

Veterans receiving care from health care providers outside the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs system

Veterans who are NOT receiving continuous medical care through a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facility must obtain a physician certification from their community physician.

Veterans may still be eligible for a reduced application fee by providing a copy of their DD-214 (showing dates of service and character of service/type of discharge) with their application.

What is the status of my application?

Due to a high volume of processing, we CANNOT respond to inquiries about application status. We will process all applications based on the date received.  If additional documents are needed to review your application, you will receive a letter from the program asking for more information along with instructions on how to submit the documents.

Can I get my application fee refunded if I decide I don’t want to be a registered qualified patient after I receive my registry identification card?

No. All fees paid are non-refundable.

A caregiver can assist you with the use of medical cannabis. A caregiver MUST have a valid registry card to enter a medical cannabis dispensary with the patient. Consider designating a caregiver when you apply for a medical cannabis registry identification card. Complete the Designated Caregiver Application and submit the required documents with your patient application.