Extending Your Registry Card

Currently, medical cannabis registry cards are valid for one year. Registered qualifying patients have the option to extend their registry card for one year or two years.

IDPH will mail a letter with information about extending your medical cannabis registry identification card to registered cardholders approximately 45 days before the expiration date listed on the card.

Can I extend my registry identification card on-line?

Yes. Once you receive the letter from IDPH indicating you are able to extend your registry card, you must complete the extension on-line at medicalcannabispatients.illinois.gov

If you currently have or had a 6-month Terminal Illness Registry Card, DO NOT start a Terminal Illness application. You must call 855-636-3688 and ask to speak to a Terminal Illness Specialist or email dph.terminalill@illinois.gov for instructions.

What is the fee for extending my medical cannabis registry card?

Your Medical Cannabis Registry Identification Card Application is valid for up to three years. You may choose to extend your registry card by selecting a one-year card or a two-year card:
Extension Fee Reduced Extension Fee *
$100 -- One-Year Registry Card $50 -- One-Year Registry Card
$200 -- Two-Year Registry Card $100 -- Two-Year Registry Card
*The reduced fee is for qualifying patients enrolled in the Federal Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability programs, or Veterans.

If you paid a reduced application fee previously, you do NOT need to send a copy of your SSI/SSDI letter or DD214 with your extension form.

If you paid the full application fee during your initial application, but qualify for a reduced fee now, you must attach a copy of your DD214 or “Benefit Verification” letter from the Social Security Administration.

After each three-year cycle, you will be required to submit a new application along with a physician certification, a new photo and other documentation to extend your registry identification card.

Do I need to see my doctor or get my fingerprints taken?

Your Medical Cannabis Registry Identification Card Application is valid for up to three years. If you currently have a registry identification card, which is valid for 12 months, you will not need to get your fingerprints taken or have your physician complete a physician certification, IF you return your extension information before your registry card expires.

At the end of each three-year period, you will be required to renew your registry identification card and submit new documentation, including, but not limited to a physician certification, photo, etc.

What happens if my registry identification card expires before I am able to send in my extension form?

If we do not receive your request to extend your registry card at least 10 days before your registry identification card expires, you will need to complete a new application to participate in the program, including obtaining a physician certification and a fingerprint background check. If your card expires, you will not have the benefit of the immunities provided by the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act under Section 25 to registered qualifying patients and designated caregivers.

NOTE: For persons whose registry identification card expires in October 2016, the Department will work with you to ensure your registry card continues to be valid if you submit your extension form any time before its expiration date.

Will my designated caregiver have to get an extension also?

Yes. Caregiver information will be included on the extension form that is sent to you. If you have a designated caregiver, you must extend his/her registry card at the same time.

Can I change my designated caregiver?

Yes, you may change your designated caregiver. If you are adding a new caregiver, you must submit a new caregiver application including a photo, fingerprints, and supporting documents. Your new caregiver will not be effective until a complete application has been received and approved. We recommend you discuss this with the person who is your current caregiver before submitting a new caregiver application.

My registry identification card does not expire until next year. Can I get an extension form now?

No. IDPH will mail a letter with extension information to registered cardholders approximately 60 to 90 days before the expiration date listed on the medical cannabis registry identification card. Please wait for this information before attempting to extend your card.